Hacienda Asunción is presumably the oldest remaining coffee plantation on the island dating back to 1821 according to information  on the Government of Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office webpage Sitios Arqueologicos, Municipio de Yauco .  Between 1860 and ca. 1880 it was owned by Eduardo Quiñones Vizcarrondo and originally consisted of some 600 cuerdas which were reduced to 400 after he became the suspect of sedition.

Around 1880 Hacienda Asunción was acquired by Domingo Mariani, who around that time also owned  Hacienda Malatesta  and was one of the creditors of the excessive debt incurred by Quiñones Vizcarrondo.  This fact is described by  Dr. Luis Edgardo Diaz Hernandez in his book Castañer: Una Hacienda Cafetalera en Puerto Rico (1870-1930) when he states "During the summer of 1888 local farmer Eduardo Quiñones Vizcarrondo, who lives within the boundaries of the Municipality of Adjuntas, seems to be in a precarious financial situation.  Juan Castañer advances money to finance his crops but these do not yield the needed return to face his indebtedness, counting only with his land to repay.  In June, Juan Castañer forecloses and acquires 202 cuerdas of the best land which Castañer himself selected.  The value of such land was 17,978.75 pesos." 

Architect Juan Ortiz Colom in his publication Yauco: Ciudad de Historia y Patrimonio, states that Hacienda Asunción belonged to the Dastas family between 1920-1936 when it was sold to the Francisco family, its owner in 1978 was  José J. Francisco

The structures that remain which are in considerable good condition date from ca. 1875  and consist of the Manor House remodeled in 1901 and a two story Warehouse and Machinery House building in front of a medium sized cement "glácil".  In a section underneath the warehouse there are 8 movabable drying pans.

It is located on PR-374 Ramal Km 4.3.

​The pictures below are part of a 1987 study made by Archeologist Luis Pumarada O'Neill.  Source: Puerto Rico State Historic Preservation Office.