Santa Bárbara

Santa Bárbara was owned by Ramón Gandia Silva and his wife Bárbara María Balseiro de la Plaza (1794-1876).  It was located in the Barrio Cambalache and consisted of 345 cuerdas.  Bárbara Balseiro was also owner by inheritance of Hacienda Islote in the barrio of the same name near the mouth of the Arecibo River.
Ramón and Bárbara's daughter, Maria de la Concepcion Gandia Balseiro ( -1879) married Manuel de Jesús Zeno Correa (1818-1902) and was the mother of well known doctor, politician and author Manuel Zeno Gandia (1855-1930) who in 1883 married Ana Antongiorgi Franceschi, daughter of Francisco Maria Atongiorgi owner by inheritance from his father Juan Maria Antongiorgi of Hacienda Maria .  Maria de la Concepción and her sister Amalia inherited Santa Bárbara as well as Islote and her husband inherited Hacienda Puente Bagazo (originally known as Mercedes).  Puente Bagazo had been in the Zeno family ownership since 1812 and in 1845 was the largest sugar plantation in Arecibo consisting of approximately 3,700 cuerdas. 
In 1878, Puente Bagazo was lost due to excessive debts to G. Ledesma & Cia. and Torres & Cia. and was acquired by Petra Berrios who leased it to Sebastian Figueroa Colón.  Shortly before this event, Manuel de Jesús and Maria de la Concepción decided to sell their part of Santa Barbara to avoid loosing it the same way they eventually lost Puente Bagazo.  

In 1877, brothers Miguel Roses Bisbal (1838-1890) and Antonio Roses Bisbal ( - 1898), Spanish immigrants established in Puerto Rico since 1857 and 1866 respectively, under the name Roses & Cia. acquired 360 acres of Hacienda Santa Bárbara which at the time produced muscovado sugar and "aguardiente".  In 1895 a right was granted Antonio Roses to use 90 liters of water per second from the Rio Grande de Arecibo for irrigating 118 hectares of Hacienda Santa Bárbara.  It appears Amalia Gandia Balseiro retained her part of Hacienda Santa Bárbara and either sold it or leased it to Rafael Balseiro Maceira (1833-1902) (father in law of Eduardo Georgetti and partner in Central Plazuela ) as in the Gaceta de Puerto Rico edition of April 18, 1889, in March of that same year, as the result of a court case established by Amalia Gandia de Ibañez against Rafael Balseiro Maceira, the district judge ordered to be sold at public auction 174 cuerdas and sugarcane factory known as Hacienda Santa Bárbara, located in Barrio Cambalache. 

By 1902 under the administration of Andrés Oliver, Santa Barbara sugar factory had ceased operations and sugarcane grown on its land was processed at Central Monte Grande.  In 1905, then operating under the name Sucrs. Roses & Cia., Santa Barbara was part of the lands that formed part of the new Central Cambalache, Inc. of which Sucrs. Roses & Cia. were important shareholders.
In 1892, two years after Miguel died in 1890, Antonio, then owner of 100% of Santa Barbara which had grown to 360 "cuerdas" of which 200 were planted with sugarcane, retires in Sóller and leases the Hacienda to the firm Sucrs. de Roses & Cia.  By 1891 Sucrs. de Roses & Cia brought to market Ron Llave which was distilled in Santa Bárbara until 1901.  From 1901 to 1906 it was distilled at Central Plazuela  and until 1911 at its own facilities in Barrio Miramar in Arecibo where they bought the molasses to produce alcohol from Central Cambalache .  In 1911 Sucrs. de Roses & Cia. became part of the newly organized Puerto Rico Distilling Co., Inc.  Today, Ron Llave is still being distilled by Destileria Serrallés in Ponce.
The remains of Santa Barbara are less than 1/2 mile from the remains of Central Cambalache .
  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director